Saturday, June 4, 2016

What is age, anyway?

I was talking with a gym member that has attended several of my classes the last couple weeks and was very surprised to find out she was 20 years older than myself.  She has no gray hair, is in good shape and even held a side plank for a minute yesterday... on both sides!  So what is the secret to aging well? 

Another friend and I were discussing skincare routines.  Many of us have known older women that look great and swear by the use of certain products like Mary Kay, Oil of Olay or LancĂ´me. Others (me) want to keep their youthful fit appearance by working out daily and eating as healthy as possible.  It seems everyone is on a search for the fountain of youth to look and feel young.  Or maybe just age gracefully...

Yes, I have vowed to color my hair for at least another 20 years and sworn off gluten & dairy.  There are days that I burn the candle at both ends but other days that I try to rest and rejuvenate my body and soul.  I know I'm not perfect but strive to live a life of honesty, forgiveness and love. I want to feel, look and be my best for myself and my family because that's who I am.  That is who God created me to be. 

Sure, there are some years and seasons in my past that I may have not been living my best.  I'd love to turn the clock back and be younger, wiser and live fuller.  Maybe I can... a little. After all, isn't 40 supposed to be the new 30?  What is age, anyway?  It's just a number to mark the time we have passed on earth.  When I think about the possibility that I have fewer years left than I have already spent, it kind of freaks me out. I'd rather focus on where I am now and live a full, healthy, happy life.  Will I act my age?  Probably not.  Will I look my age?  I sure hope not!  Is there a secret to aging gracefully or feeling younger?  Most importantly, does it matter?  Age is just a number... it's how you live that truly matters.  Let's live well!

No comments: