Saturday, January 28, 2017

I'm so preppy!

Life is busy.  It is hard sometimes to make healthy meal and snack choices when you are being a taxi for your kids, working full time, in school, trying to fit workouts in, have a social life and family time.  I get it!  The best tip I have found useful is to be proactive and prep healthy meals and snacks for the week.  I know it is easier said than done but once you get into the routine, I promise it will get easier!

Find an evening or time on the weekend that you can spend a couple hours in the kitchen.  I like to bake some pumpkin or banana protein bars, cut them up and store in the freezer.  Protein energy balls can be made in about 15 minutes and stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.  Wash and cut all kinds of raw veggies to have ready for salads, stir fry, omelets, or other dishes like jambalaya, chili, quinoa or rice dishes, etc.  Cook a whole package of chicken breast, dice and store some in refrigerator and some in the freezer to have ready for salads or other dishes.  Hard boil eggs.  Make turkey meatballs and store in freezer.  Make your own trail mix with raw nuts, seeds and dried fruit.

When you have your dinner menu planned for the week and have healthy meal ingredients on hand, it takes the guesswork out of dinner and you'll be less likely to opt for takeout or frozen pizza.  Having healthy snack items to take with you to work will make it easier to say no to the donuts in the break room.  I like to keep some healthy snack options with me when I go shopping, to class, or even out with friends so I am not at the mercy of fast food, a vending machine or gas station snacks.

Give it a try this week.  If you don't have too much time, just start with a few prepped items.  Maybe just snacks then try to prep for meals next week.  Once you find your groove, you'll become a pro at prepping!

Some might call it being in control.  Many would call it proactive.  I say I'm just being preppy!

No comments: